WHAT IS ACUPUNCTURE?
Acupuncture is a healing modality rooted in Traditional Chinese Medicine dated back to 3,000 years. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, the flow of good energy or “Qi” is the basis of good health and overall balance. Disruption of such energy flow can cause diseases. Such energy flows through many meridians / pathways in the body accessible via various acupuncture points or “acupoints”. The goal of acupuncture is to help bring the body and energy flow back to balance and thereby fostering good health.
A typical acupuncture treatment session will include a detailed intake of your overall health. The practitioner will then select the best treatment protocol for a particular session. It involves the insertion of several fine, thin and sterile (FDA approved) needles at various acupuncture points. The patient can then relax and let the circulation do its work for about 20-45 minutes, depending on patient conditions.
A typical treatment course can go from 6 to 12 sessions, once or twice a week. Treatment plan is tailored to each individual for their respective conditions.
BENEFITS OF ACUPUNCTURE
Research has shown that acupuncture can help stimulate the central nervous system, and thereby releases chemicals into the muscles, spinal cord, and brain. This may in turn stimulate the body’s natural healing abilities to promote physical and emotional well-being.
The World Health Organization (WHO) and National Institute of Health (NIH) recognized the application of acupuncture in the treatment of a wide range of conditions.
Several studies (Randomized Controlled Trials) have also shown that Acupuncture has a tremendous number of health benefits, especially on your mental health.
– Acupuncture positively reinforces the nervous system, the endocrine system, the cardiovascular system, and the immune system. As a result, it resolves pain, improves sleep, and establishes a general sense of well-being.
– Acupuncture works directly on the Central Nervous System (CNS) which releases endorphins. Endorphins are chemicals in our body that improve the state of pain, general stress, or anxiety.
– Acupuncture increases the production of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter, a biochemical compound that is responsible for the feelings of happiness. Since Serotonin also regulates the sleep-wake cycle, Acupuncture helps in relieving anxiety and also positively reinforces deep sleep cycles.
– Acupuncture has also been demonstrated to have positive effects and lessen the adverse symptoms in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Acute Stress Disorder, and General Anxiety Disorder.
– Several National Institute of Health (NIH) studies have also found that Acupuncture may relieve pain/nausea after Chemotherapy, Drug Dependency/Addiction, Carpal-Tunnel Syndrome, and Migraines.
Comprehensive list of health benefits of Acupuncture:
This is the comprehensive list of diseases where Acupuncture has been demonstrated to induce effective treatment in patients under case-controlled clinical studies:
(•) Addiction, (•) Anxiety, (•) Allergic rhinitis, (•) Biliary colic, (•) Depression (including depressive neurosis and depression following stroke), (•) Dysentery, (•) Dysmenorrhoea, (•) Epigastralgia, (•) Gastritis, (•) Peptic ulcer, (•) Acute and chronic gastritis, and gastro-spasm,(•) Cranio-mandibular disorders, (•) Migraines and General headache, (•) Hemorrhoids, (•) Hepatitis, (•) Hemorrhoids, (•)Hypertension, (•) Hypotension, (•) Irritable bowel syndrome, (•) Ischemia, (•) Induction of labor, (•) Leukopenia, (•) Low back pain, (•)Malposition of fetus and correction, (•) Morning sickness, (•) Muscle cramping, (•) Menstrual pain, (•) Migraines, (•) Nausea and vomiting, (•) Neck pain, (•) Neurosis, (•) Neurogenic bladder dysfunction, (•) Osteoporosis, (•) Parkinson’s disease, (•) Postoperative pain, (•) Polycystic ovary syndrome, (•) Renal colic, (•) Rheumatoid arthritis, (•) Rhinitis, (•) Sinusitis, (•) Sciatica, (•) Schizophrenia, (•) Sprain, (•) Stroke, (•) Tourette syndrome, (•) Vascular dementia
Our Acupuncture providers at The Functional Medicine Center:
Our Acupuncture providers are highly experienced with multiple certifications and over 10 years of experience. Join our providers for a consultation and receive the bountiful of health benefits that acupuncture has to offer.
Choose your acupuncture related services: